Conference and Events Services
Planning Your Event
The Office of Conference & Event Services is the one-stop shop for event planning on campus for external clients. From mid-May through early August, we specialize in renting college facilities for conference and camp use. During the academic year, we assist in planning conferences, athletic events, business meetings, and educational classes.
Guidelines for Facility Use
As an institution of higher education, Franklin & Marshall College seeks to balance its mission of instruction, scholarship and co-curricular activities with its commitment to the broader community. The facilities of Franklin & Marshall College exist for the purpose of education, for use by our faculty, staff and students and by affiliated constituencies. However, when available space allows, we are committed to making our facilities available to groups and organizations outside the College whose purpose is consistent with the College’s mission.
All facilities are property of Franklin & Marshall College. Specifically, there is no departmental or individual “ownership” of space. The College reserves the right to decide which activities may or may not be held on campus, and to establish fair and reasonable charges for the use of these facilities. Priorities for use of facilities are given as follows:
- The event request is presented in whole by faculty, staff or students and whose activities are directly related to college business.
- All participants must be Franklin & Marshall College faculty, staff, students, or alumni.
- The sponsoring department or organization is responsible for all costs associated with the event. Facility fees are waived.
- The event request is presented by a non-F&M entity or by faculty, staff or students for the benefit of the F&M community. The event involves a College academic department, administrative unit or student organization and an outside organization such as a professional for-profit or non-profit group.
- Participants consist of faculty, staff or students and external guests.
- The event must fit into the mission of the College and the sponsoring department and be approved by the Departmental Chairperson or Director and Divisional Vice President.
- The sponsoring department or College organization will serve as the point of contact on behalf of the external group.
- A department representative must be present at the event and responsible for the event logistics (i.e. facility reservation, setup, catering, security, custodial, equipment rentals, etc.)
- Fees charged (entry fees, registrations, donations) must be disclosed to the College in advance of the event.
- The sponsoring department or College organization will pay all costs associated with the event.
- Programs and activities organized by individuals, organizations or groups not part of the organizational structure of the College and who request to use the College’s facilities for the benefit of their own program.
- Attendees consist of external guests.
- The Office of Conference & Event Services will serve as the point of contact on behalf of the external group. Certificate of Insurance and contract will be required.
- Event sponsor will pay full facility rental fees and all other costs associated with the event.
Franklin & Marshall College requires a Certificate of Insurance (COI) be filed with the Office of Conference Services & External Events by any external entity (hereafter known as the Customer) scheduling use of facilities. A COI documents the existence and terms of insurance coverage for the purpose of providing evidence that the Customer will be able to satisfy necessary obligations. These obligations include, but are not limited to:
- Payment of liability losses assumed under contract
- Workers' compensation benefits
- Payment for loss or damage to property
COIs are for informational use only and are not considered legally binding.
Certificate of Insurance Requirements
Not less than ten (10) days prior to the scheduled use of facilities, the Customer must file with the College’s Office of Conference Services & External Events a Certificate of Insurance evidencing General Liability coverage is in force at limits of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 general aggregate. Franklin & Marshall College shall be named as Additional Insured in reference to the Customer’s use of the facilities. This insurance policy shall not be canceled without 30 days advance notice to the College.
Camps or Activities Involving Minors
Per the College’s contract terms, at a minimum, Customer shall indemnify, defend (by counsel acceptable to the college) and save harmless College, its employees and agents, from all claims, damages, losses or expenses including attorneys' fees arising from injury or damage to persons or property, caused wholly or in part by any acts or omissions of Customer, or its employees, agents or members. These minimum requirements shall not limit the liability or relieve the Customer of any obligation or responsibilities as agreed to in the Use of Facilities Agreement. F&M reserves the right to require additional coverage or to increase limits as the activities or use of the premise changes. Customers will be made aware of any additional requirements in advance which will be made a part of any executed Use of Facilities Agreement.
Ready to Book?
Before contacting our office, please determine what type of event you have in mind, the number of guests attending and what services you would be interested in (e.g., catering, physical support, etc). Questions can be directed to the Director of Conference & Events at 717-358-4747.Request an Event »