About Business, Organizations & Society
Our Program and Courses
Business, Organizations & Society (BOS) is a major at F&M. By studying BOS at F&M, you’ll get a broad understanding of the roles organizations play in society as well as management philosophies, processes, styles, and the dynamics between theory and practice.
By the time you graduate, you will have developed:
- Analytical reasoning, or the ability to take descriptive material and draw conclusions more generally about a particular phenomenon. This includes identifying appropriate analytical techniques to solve business problems, recognizing and critically analyzing ethical issues, conducting a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis in a business context, and more.
- Practical reasoning, or the ability to draw upon business, financial, and ethical theories and techniques; consider how these affect the individual; and understand how the individual’s decisions affect businesses, organizations, and society.
- Multiple framing, or the ability to effectively argue more than one side of an issue or conflict. You’ll have confidence in comparing the shareholder to the stakeholder perspective, developing and considering the viability of multiple solutions for a problem, and more.
- Reflective exploration of meaning, or the ability to reflect on how class material affects the individual, and how the individual’s decision affects the firm and society. This can range from identifying a business decision’s potential impacts on environmental sustainability to considering the impact a particular understanding or approach has on who you are or how you engage with the world.
In order to major in BOS, you'll first need to apply to the department since the number
of students in the program is capped.
Curious to learn more about BOS classes? Explore our course catalog to see what’s available to you.
Our Faculty and Staff
Academic Department Coordinator for Earth & Environment and Business Organizations and Society; Program Coordinator of STS
Business, Organizations and Society; Science, Technology and SocietyContact »
Professor of Organization Studies, Department Chair of Business, Organizations and SocietyContact »
Associate Professor of Finance, Associate Chair of Business, Organizations & SocietyContact »
Learning Outside the Classroom
Student-Managed Investment Portfolio (SMIP)
Get real-world portfolio management experience with the Student-Managed Investment Portfolio (SMIP). SMIP is a portfolio of stocks students exclusively and collectively manage in the portfolio management course (BOS 363). A share of the funds generated by SMIP are used to provide financial assistance for F&M students.
Entrepreneurship at F&M
In the spirit of living up to Benjamin Franklin’s legacy of creating solutions in the service of the public good, Entrepreneurship at F&M is a program that offers exciting opportunities for all students to explore and develop entrepreneurial skills. In addition to courses in entrepreneurship, there are several supporting programs, including:
- The F&M Incubator, which offers opportunities for students to bring their creative solutions to life. You’ll work in a team and you may receive mentoring, specialized support, and/or project funding. You’ll also attend a series of workshops on customer identification, design thinking, marketing and legal considerations, and other topics.
- A summer entrepreneurship experience during which you’ll earn course credit and gain real-world experience for your resume while discovering and mastering the entrepreneurial skills needed to bring innovation to any organization. You’ll be matched as a paid intern with sponsoring startups, entrepreneurs, and other organizations that are looking to innovate or disrupt the status quo across a variety of industries.
- Workshops that introduce, discuss, or focus on entrepreneurship methods and insight
- Events featuring F&M alumni and members of the wider community who have changed the status quo in all sectors of the economy and society
Internships for Credit
What better way to put your earned skills to the test than with an internship? By
completing an internship for credit, you can add valuable experience to your resume
while earning a credit toward your degree.
Explore internships at F&M
Research Opportunities and Independent Studies
Every student at F&M has extraordinary opportunities to engage in independent or faculty-led
research. BOS faculty are expert researchers on a wide array of business topics, including:
accounting, finance, investment portfolios, international business, law, management,
markets, marketing, human resources, organizational behavior, sustainability, and
Explore research at F&M
Off-campus study, in the U.S. and internationally, is encouraged. F&M students have
studied abroad in Spain, Italy, France, China, England, Ireland, and much more.
Explore off-campus study at F&M
Dual Degree Programs
Earn Master of Human Resource Management
In partnership with Rutgers University, this program allows F&M graduates with a bachelor’s degree in Business, Organization and Society (BOS) or the relevant eligible F&M courses to earn a Master of Human Resources Management (MHRM).
Earn Master of Science in Accounting
Through partnerships with Wake Forest University, Vanderbilt University, and New York University, F&M students of any major are eligible to complete both a bachelor's degree at F&M and a Master of Science (Accounting) over the span of five years.
Success Beyond F&M
What happens when you graduate with a liberal arts degree in BOS? A world of opportunities awaits.
BOS graduates have gone on to study law, while others have pursued advanced degrees
in business at University of Pennsylvania, Villanova University, Columbia University,
Cornell University, and Drexel University.
BOS majors are prepared for careers in a wide array of industries. Many obtain positions
in education, business, banking, government, and law. They hold positions such as:
- Account Coordinator
- Account Director
- Assistant Vice President
- Banking Director
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Operating Officer
- Client Relationship Associate
- Data Analyst
- Director of Human Resources
- Financial Advisor
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Marketing Associate
- Marketing Manager
- Research Associate
- Social Media and Marketing Coordinator
- Trade Analyst
Women's Basketball Captain Scores NCAA InternshipMany college athletes dream of working in the sports industry. Jaclyn Feit '24 intends to make this her reality. This summer, Feit was a College Basketball Academy Intern for the NCAA in Indianapolis. As a joint major in business, organizations and society (BOS) and psychology, she tapped into marketing strategies that are effective for young athletes.
Read More »
Italian Fashion Internship Provides Perfect FitWhen senior Lauren Arnold heard about the opportunity to intern at a fashion company in Italy, it truly was the perfect fit. As a joint major in business, organizations and society (BOS) and sociology, she saw the opportunity to work for Fashion Box in Asolo, Italy, as an unbeatable chance to merge her lifelong passion and major. After studying abroad in Tuscany the previous summer, Arnold also felt confident with her language and cultural knowledge upon entering an Italian workplace.
Read More »
Related Fields of Study
Economics is a social science that focuses on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. By studying economics at F&M, you’ll develop a framework for understanding how the economy works, its shortcomings and how to remedy them, and broaden your perspective of how the economy influences daily lives in all corners of the world.
The study of mathematics is ancient, and its roots in clear and creative thought can still be seen today. While studying mathematics at F&M, you will learn both the fundamental foundations and theories of the field as well as how to apply these theories to real-life problems.
Social Entrepreneurship (Certificate)
Are you interested in having a positive impact on the world around you? F&M’s social entrepreneurship certificate leverages best practices in innovation, social change, and startups to address the social issues that matter most to you.
BOS in Action
February 9, 2024
Students Launching Students: The Unsung Heroes of Success After F&M
Senior Armina Emami provides a level of support for career-minded students through her peer-to-peer workshops focused on helping students build the best possible resume.
August 21, 2023
Genesis Familia: Raising Others Through Philanthropy
For most, home is the place where they are raised. For Genesis Familia, it is also the place to give back by raising others. This summer, the Posse Scholar returned to New York City for an internship with Bloomberg Philanthropies in human resources and management. In addition to her overseeing managerial duties, Familia also contributed to hands-on philanthropic efforts.
June 22, 2023
Women's Basketball Captain Scores NCAA Internship
Many college athletes dream of working in the sports industry. Jaclyn Feit intends to make this her reality. This summer, the senior from Charlotte, N.C., was a College Basketball Academy Intern for the NCAA in Indianapolis. Feit and a team of other students are tasked with inviting prospective athletes to the first Women's Basketball Academy, running July 27 — 31 in Memphis, Tenn.